Saturday, April 12, 2014

Hike to Dana and back

Dana reserve where the lodge is located is a protected area under the ownership of a NGO, Royal Society for the Conservation of Nature. The reserve is over 300 square km, about 115 square miles. It is the biggest reserve in Jordan. Currently there are 7 reserves, soon to be expanded to 12. The reserve was started to protect wild life, primarily Ibex. Of course other life is thriving as well. There are about 37 mammels, including wolfves, hyenas, jackels, and diffent types of wild cats. There are many types of birds as well. The most popular being the Palestinian song bird. A very tiny bird. The female is grey, but the mail has beautiful colors under the wings, to impress the female.
There are many types of plants depending on where you are in the reserve. What's unique about the reserve is that it contains four main biogeographical zones. These zones are: the Mediterranean bio-geographical zone, the Irano-Turanian biogeographical zone, the Sudanian biogeographical zone and the Suharo Arabian biogeographical zone. These zones extend in altitude from 100 meter (around 100 yards) below sea level up to 1,500 meter (around 1 mile) above sea level.

So I am starting my hike from about 330 meters above sea level and going to almost the top. It is very hot today. The forecast is for mid to high seventies with the real feel of mid to high eighties.
I've hiked the beginning of this valley a few times, so it is quite familiar. I even know some of the bedou along the way. There used to be a rough dirt road connecting the two villages, so I have the option to walk on the river bed or on the road. While the river bed is flat, it is sandy making walking quite difficult. In addition once the sand and the valley rocks get hot it feels like you are walking in an oven. The old road has a hard surface and possibly a breeze, although today it's quite calm, but it goes up and down and switches back and forth. I end up alternating between the dry river bed and the old road. I make good progress and cover about 5 miles in the first couple of hours. It's about 11 and I stop for water and to take some pictures and lunch, one apple.
I have trained myself to drink less. When I got here I was drinking about 12 OZ of water and about 6 OZ of tea on a four hour slow hike in moderate heat. Now I can do the same hike with no water, just 6 OZ of tea.
It is getting very hot and the sun is strong. I am starting to climb higher, the vegetation is changing. There are pistachio trees, no nuts in them yet. The terrain is rougher. Walking on the river bed is not really an option. The left bank on the river is off limits to human beings, fully protected. It rises up several hundred meters and is dotted with green vegetation. I stick to the road which now hugs the right bank. It's about noon and I have drunk about 20 OZ, much more than usual. It is getting hot. I have about a mile to go. The mountain is ahead of me and I can see the road snake up the mountain. As I start I can feel the steepness. Later I figure that the last mile or less is about a 1000 meter climb. Quite a tough hike. I have to stop several times to drink and take pictures. It is hard to tell where Dana Village is and I am getting quite tired. I stop to rest and have a sesame seed power bar. I've drunk most of the water, probably have 8 OZ left and feeling thirsty and dehydrated. Fortunately as the road winds I see the first buildings of the village above me. Dana is a very small village. About 3 hotels and a small grocery store and a mosque. I go directly to the store and get a large bottle of water. It is cold and feels good drinking it. I check into the hotel and take a shower. It feels good. I am ready for some food, but it's past 2 and the kitchen is closed. I am told dinner would be soon, but it's not. Due to many issues dinner is served at 8.
The hike down the next day is nowhere as tough as the hike up. Some people hire a local driver to take them up to Dana and then they hike down, or hike down and have a driver meet them at the bottom. While the hike is about nine miles, the drive is about 75 miles over partially unpaved road taking at least 2 hours or more.
The hike down is actually quite nice. It is about ten degrees cooler and there is a nice breeze. The views of the valley are great, and you can sort of see the dead sea. There is a bit of a haze so the distance is not 100% clear.
The big event hiking down is that I see a blue lizard.


No comments:

Post a Comment